SG Consulting can look back on a long tradition of consultancy which now forms the cornerstone for the quality of my work.
Well before SG Consulting was founded, the owner Steve Gerry was employed as a Senior Management Consultant, with SW Electricity plc (SWEB) - the region's largest company at that time - specialising in strategic/business planning; feasibility testing; project management, organisational culture change management; post investment appraisals and operational efficiency projects.
Steve developed his knowledge, skills and expertise in economic and community development first as Development Manager and Company Secretary, South West Enterprise Ltd (SWEL) – a private sector business and economic development lobby group for Devon & Cornwall – employed by and seconded from SWEB. He was responsible for: private sector representation, economic analysis, promoting international trade, membership services and projects/ event organisation/management.
Then later as Project Manager, Strategy Development, with Prosper. Prosper combined Devon & Cornwall’s Training & Enterprise Council (TEC) and Business Link operations. As Project Manager, Steve's role was to help develop Prosper’s relations with external partners. During this period he feasibility tested and project managed the formation of the Devon & Cornwall Business Council and conducted a strategic business review of Plymouth Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
Finally, before forming SG Consulting, Steve was Partnership Director at Plymouth 2020 Partnership (formally recognised by Government as being the City’s local strategic partnership (LSP). Steve reported to the (multi-sector) Board of Plymouth 2020. His main duties and responsibilities included: -
- Assisting the Board in developing and maintaining a long-term vision and strategy for Plymouth
- Directing and developing the Partnership through a particular period of growth and change
- Developing a strategic marketing and branding function for the city
- Retaining the accredited (LSP) status with Government Office South West
During this period his achievments included:
- Personally acting as a catalyst in the commissioning of a masterplan for the urban design of Plymouth. He contract managed the Urban Vision Project for Plymouth with internationally acclaimed architect David Mackay (from Barcelona-based MBM Arquitectes).
- Was a member of a small team that secured £9m Neighbourhood Renewal funding for Plymouth from Central Government.
- Worked with international branding consultants Interbrand to propose a new brand identity for Plymouth. Only to be later frustrated at the implementation stage - but thats another story!
- Successfully gained – on several occasions - significant levels of private and public sector financial support for local civic initiatives.
- Played a leading role in formulating Plymouth’s first social, economic and environmental (‘Community’) strategy for the City.
- Was instrumental in bringing an annual world-class water-sports event to Plymouth (World Series formula one powerboats).
- Was a member of the Steering Group that feasibility tested and subsequently successfully bid for HMS Scylla to become Europe’s first artificial diving reef offSE Cornwall.
- Instigated, devised and managed Plymouth’s first quality of life survey (conducted by MORI).